Welcome to Look Before You Leap
- Are you an aspiring author?
- Want to get your author compass out to allow you to watch your back and keep safe of predators in the publishing industry?
Resources (constantly being updated)
- This list of contest scams from ALLI will help you identify those contents/award programs that are taking your money yet perhaps not giving you much benefit.
- Read this article from The Huffington Post about publicity scams affecting authors.
- My GO-TO resource is the Independent Book Publishers Association. They have an amazing team of people that you can call (and talk to in person) to find out if there are any rumors on the street about particular service providers in the publishing industry. They have providers that offer discounts to members, and they are constantly vetting these providers.
- The Association of Authors’ Representatives, a professional organization for agents whose members abide by a stringent code of ethics.
- Winning Writers compiles lists of contests and agencies to avoid.
- Agent Query is huge database of reputable, established literary agents.
Questions you should always ask when building your author team
- Do the service provider asking you for money have a real website?
- Do they have a business card on nice cardstock and not scribbled on a napkin/scrap-paper?
- Have you done a Google search ("name of provider" + scam), ("name of provider" + dispute) etc.
- Have you asked for a client list. Can you talk to a previous client?
- Is the payment plan PARTIAL payment upfront plus payments upon agreed-to deliverables?